Sunday, December 5, 2010

SUN RA - HELSINKI 1971


Every now and then, it's time for something special. Today's treat is "Helsinki 1971" by Sun Ra and His Intergalactic Solar Research Arkestra.
This album has been on my personal playlist for over a month now. Each time that I want to put it in the shelves, I reconsider, because I know that I want to hear it again one of the next days.

"Helsinki 1971" got released by Transparency last year. It's the complete Helsinki concert, and it includes a video of an interview as well.
The concert itself is very impressive. Beautiful big band melodies, fine vocals by June Tyson, a 34-minute version of 'Discipline 8' with experimental keyboard improvisations by Sun Ra, compelling rhythms, it's all there.
The source for this album was the broadcast by the Finnish Broadcasting Company. Perfect quality !! I'm glad that this recording found its way to a release.

And then there's the interview. Taken from Finnish TV, this 10-minute segment mixes concert fragments with an interview with Sun Ra. Breathtaking.

You definitely need to see and hear this!!

For more info, check out

www.myspace.com/michael_transparency

No comments:

Post a Comment