Sunday, April 12, 2009

SUN RA RESEARCH CD TWO


Last Friday, I received a great surprise: a little package, straight from California, containing a bunch of Sun Ra material: a couple of cards, a magazine, and a CD album.

I'll tell you more about the magazine later on. Right now, I really want to mention the CD. As you can see on the above picture, there's no 'real' title or anything on the cover. The back-side says "Sun Ra Research CD Two" and has a listing of names and dates. The name-section includes Sun Ra and various other members of his Arkestra, plus John and Peter Hinds.
That's more than enough to make me curious.

The actual album is a collection of interview fragments, mixed with music.
I like this. I really like this. The whole album sounds like some sort of collage. It's this mixture of spoken word and music that makes you become a part of it all. It's as if you're sitting alongside Sun Ra.

Sun Ra Research is a project by John and Peter Hinds.
Peter Hinds has been publishing Sun Ra Research, a fanzine with interviews, since 1995.
These guys really know what they're doing.

Sun Ra Research CD Two is a fine addition to the Sun Ra discography. It has me eagerly awaiting CD One.

Sun Ra Research is making material available through their ebay shop: "sunraresearch".
And check them out on YouTube as well!

2 comments:

  1. ...how can I order a copy of this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have an ebay shop.
    Do an ebay search and you'll come across it.

    ReplyDelete